Director of the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology RAS
DSc (Geographical Sciences)
Corresponding Member of RAS
36, Nakhimovskiy prospect, Moscow, 117997,
+7(495)380-41-50 ext. 300, 301
* Required fields
DSc on Geographical Sciences, Director of the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 1981, he graduated from the Geography Faculty of the M.V. Lobmonosov Moscow State University.
1985–1989 postgraduate studies at the State Oceanographic Institute.
In 1990, he defended his Ph.D. thesis on the topic "Structure and dynamics of the bottom and deep layers in the eastern part of the tropical Pacific Ocean".
In 2012 he defended his doctoral dissertation on the topic "Long-term variability of large-scale water circulation in the North Atlantic in the second half of the 20th century."
Scopus ID: 6701757896
eLIBRARY.RU AuthorID: 59730
1981–1993 – Engineer, Researcher, Senior Researcher, Deputy Director for scientific work of the State Oceanographic Institute.
1993 – up to now works at the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS, in the positions of Senior Researcher, Deputy Director for scientific and organizational work, since 1999 – Deputy Director for scientific expeditions and fleet, since 2017 – acting Director of the IO RAS, since 2019 – Director of the Institute of Oceanology.
In 2012, he defended his DSc dissertation on the topic "Long-term variability of large-scale water circulation in the North Atlantic in the second half of the 20th Century."
The area of scientific interests is the study of the circulation of the waters of the World Ocean, the study of the large-scale structure and dynamics of the waters of the World Ocean, especially its deep and bottom layers. Many scientific works are devoted to the study of the long-term variability of the properties and dynamics of ocean waters in the context of modern climatic changes.
Main research results
The first cycle of works was devoted to the study of the structure and dynamics of the deep and bottom layers of the eastern part of the tropical zone of the Pacific Ocean, the development of the instrument base for measuring the bottom currents. The work was carried out within the framework of the Abyssal project and was aimed at hydrometeorological support for the proposed mining of ferromanganese nodules in the Clarion and Clipperton fault zones. As a result of comprehensive studies of the entire water column at the test site in the North-Eastern Pacific Basin, the presence of eddies penetrating to the bottom was recorded, which are the cause of anomalies in the structure and dynamics of the deep and bottom layers, including benthic storms.
The second cycle of works is devoted to the study of the variability of the large-scale structure and dynamics of the waters of the North Atlantic and its interaction with the global convective meridional circulation of the World Ocean.
During participation in the implementation of the international WOCE program, the reason for the multidirectional trends in the variability of the thermohaline structure of the waters of the subpolar and subtropical North Atlantic was revealed. Based on the calculation of water transport, the circulation schemes of the surface, intermediate, deep and bottom layers of the North Atlantic were constructed for three decades (1950s, 1980s and 1990s). The existence of two modes of global convective meridional circulation in the North Atlantic during this period has been established. The mechanisms responsible for the change in the meridional circulation regimes have been identified. It was found that the intensification of the meridional circulation is in antiphase with the intensity of the formation of Labrador waters.
A.V. Sokov is the author of over 100 scientific papers published in leading peer-reviewed Russian and foreign scientific journals. He was engaged in the organization and conduct of large expeditions to study the World Ocean, he is a member of 32 expeditions in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans, most of which were planned and organized under his leadership within the framework of the Abyssal, Meridian projects and the international programs WOCE and CLIVAR.
Other professional activities
A.V. Sokov is a member of the Scientific and Expert Council of the Marine Collegium under the Government of the Russian Federation.
Publications in 5 years (2015 -2020)
- Gavrikov A., Gulev S.K., Markina M., Okhlopkov I., Sokov A. RAS-NAAD: 40-yr high-resolution north atlantic atmospheric hindcast for multipurpose applications (new dataset for the regional mesoscale studies in the atmosphere and the ocean) // Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology. 2020, 59(5), P. 793–817. DOI:10.1175/JAMC-D-19-0190.1
- Santana-González C., González-Dávila M., Santana-Casiano J.M., Gladyshev S., Sokov A. Organic matter effect on Fe(II) oxidation kinetics in the Labrador Sea // Chemical Geology, 2019, 511, P. 238–255. DOI:10.1016/j.chemgeo.2018.12.019
- Gladyshev S.V., Gladyshev V.S., Gulev S.K., Sokov A.V. Structure and Variability of the Meridional Overturning Circulation in the North Atlantic Subpolar Gyre, 2007–2017 // Doklady Earth Sciences, 2018, 483(2), P. 1524–1527. DOI:10.1134/S1028334X18120024
- Gladyshev S.V., Gladyshev V.S., Pautova L.A., Gulev S.K., Sokov A.V. Intermediate Waters in the Irminger Sea during Deep Convection: Variability and the Role of Circulation Mechanisms // Doklady Earth Sciences, 2018, 483(2), P. 1553–1557. DOI:10.1134/S1028334X18120127
- Gladyshev S.V., Gladyshev V.S., Pautova L.A., Gulev S.K., Politova N.V., Sokov A.V. The Structure and Long-Term Variability of the Bottom Layer in the Irminger Sea // Doklady Earth Sciences, 2018, 481(2), P. 1025–1028. DOI:10.1134/S1028334X18080044
- Santana-González C., Santana-Casiano J.M., González-Dávila M., Santana-del Pino A., Gladyshev S., Sokov A. Fe(II) oxidation kinetics in the North Atlantic along the 59.5°?N during 2016 // Marine Chemistry. 2018. 203. P. 64–77. DOI:10.1016/j.marchem.2018.05.002
- Neiman V.G., Sokov A.V., Filyushkin B.N. Fifty Years since the First Voyage of the RV Akademik Kurchatov // Oceanology, 2017, 57(6), P. 899–900. DOI:10.1134/S0001437017060108
- Gladyshev S.V., Gladyshev V.S., Gulev S.K., Sokov A.V. Subpolar mode water classes in the northeast Atlantic: Interannual and long-term variability // Doklady Earth Sciences, 2017, 476(2), P. 1203–1206. DOI:10.1134/S1028334X17100166
- Gladyshev S.V., Gladyshev V.S., Sokov A.V., Gulev S.K., Pautova L.A., Demidov A.B. Average annual structure and transport of waters eastward of Greenland by the system of western boundary currents // Doklady Earth Sciences, 2017, 473(1), P. 313–317. DOI:10.1134/S1028334X17030035
- Gladyshev S.V., Gladyshev V.S., Gulev S.K., Sokov A.V. Anomalously deep convection in the Irminger Sea during the winter of 2014–2015 // Doklady Earth Sciences, 2016, 469(1), P. 766–770. DOI:10.1134/S1028334X16070229
- Falina A.S., Sarafanov A.A., Gladyshev S.V., Sokov A.V., Zapotyl’ko V.S., Gladyshev V.S. Water exchange between the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans: Russian research expeditions in 2011–2013 // Oceanology, 2015, 55(3), P. 441-444. DOI:10.1134/S0001437015030054