Head: Prof. V.V. Zhmur
The main areas of research
- Southern Ocean: its currents, fronts, water masses, ice, and energy interaction with the atmosphere
- Physical and chemical properties of water masses of the Pacific sector of the Southern Ocean and boundaries between them
- Antarctic Intermediate Water layer in the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic Oceans
- Interannual and seasonal variability of the icebergs distribution in Antarctic waters and its correlation with ENSO
- Abyssal currents in the Drake passage
Drake Passage currents as of November 2007.