Head of the Laboratory
DSc (Physical and Mathematical Sciences)
* Required fields
After graduating from the Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology in 1982 and postgraduate school in 1985, he defended his PhD thesis “Transformation of Internal Waves on the Inhomogeneities of Ocean Hydrological Fields”. From 1985–1989, he worked in the Atlantic Branch (Kaliningrad), and from 1990 to the present he has been working in the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of the Russian Academy of Sciences in Moscow. In 1993-1994 performed a postdoc at the Lumini Laboratory of the Institute of Statistical Mechanics and Turbulence (Marseille, France). In 2009, he defended his D.Sc. thesis “Dynamics of surface and internal gravitational waves in the problems of monitoring and forecasting sea waves”. He participated in 5 ocean expeditions on the R/V of the Institute of Oceanology, worked in research institutions in France and Japan. In different years, he carried out research projects:
Since 1996, he has been invited as a researcher at the Laboratory for Ocean-Atmosphere Interaction at the Institute for the Study of Nonequilibrium Processes of the French National Center for Scientific Research (Marseille).
Since 2017, he is a member of the Editorial Board of the scientific Journal of Oceanological Research.
In 1998, he worked as a research fellow at the Institute of Shipbuilding of the Ministry of Transport, the Japan Science and Technology Agency (Mitaka);
In 2009 - 2014 performed research at the Lebedev Physics Institute of the RAS (Moscow);
In 2010 - 2018 - at the Novosibirsk National Research State University;
In 2012 - 2013 - at the Russian State Hydrometeorological University (St. Petersburg).
His main research interests are theoretical and numerical studies of sea waves in the context of the tasks of forecasting and monitoring the marine environment, remote sensing of the sea surface.
- Gnevyshev, V. G. & Badulin, S. I. 2020 On reference solutions for ship waves. AIP Advances 10, 025014.
- Badulin, S.I., Grigorieva, V.G., Shabanov, P.A., Sharmar, V.D. & Karpov, I.O. 2019 Sea state bias in altimetry measurements within the theory of similarity for wind-driven seas. Advances in Space Research, doi: 10.1016/j.asr.2019.11.040.
- Zakharov, V. E., Badulin, S. I., Geogjaev, V. V. & Pushkarev, Andrey N. 2019 Weak-turbulent theory of wind-driven sea. Earth and Space Science 6.
- Badulin, S. I. 2019, ABC of wind-driven waves. In: Nonlinear waves-2018 , Institute of Applied Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences; Nizhny Novgorod, pp. 121-141.
- Geogjaev, V. G., Zakharov, V. E. & Badulin, S. I. 2019 Numerical study of isotropic ocean swell. Doklady Earth Sciences 489 (2), 1461-1464.
- Badulin, S. I. & Geogdzhaev, V. V. 2019 Evaluation of wind wave growth parameters basing on spectral uxes. Radiophysics and Quantum Electronics 61 (8- 9), 545-552.
- Gnevyshev, V. G. & Badulin, S. I. 2017 On the asymptotics of multidimensional linear wave packets: Reference solutions. Moscow University Physics Bulletin 72 (4), 415-423.
- Badulin, S. I. & Zakharov, V. E. 2017 Ocean swell within the kinetic equation for water waves. Nonl. Proc. Geophys. 24, 237-253.
- Grigorieva, V. G. & Badulin, S. I. 2016 Wind wave characteristics based on visual observations and satellite altimetry. Oceanology 56 (1), 19-24.
- Badulin, S., Grigorieva, V., Gavrikov, A., Geogjaev, V., Krinitskiy, M. & Markina, M. 2018 Wave steepness from satellite altimetry for wave dynamics and climate studies. Russ. J. Earth. Sci. 18, ES5005.
- Badulin, S. I., Zakharov, V. E. 2017 Ocean swell within the kinetic equation for water waves, Nonlinear Processes in Geophysics 24(2):237-253. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S.I. 2017 Rotational Waves, Wave Turbulence, and Wave Attenuation. In book: Encyclopedia of Maritime and Offshore Engineering. DOI: 10.1002/9781118476406.emoe075. www.researchgate.net
- Zakharov, V. E., Badulin, S. I., Hwang, P. A., Caulliez, G.2015 Universality of Sea Wave Growth and Its Physical Roots, J. Fluid Mech., 708, 503–535, www.researchgate.net .
- Badulin, S. I. 2014 A physical model of sea wave period from altimeter. J. Geophys. Res. 119. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Grigorieva, V. G. 2012 On discriminating swell and wind-driven seas in voluntary observing ship data. J. Geophys. Res. 117 (C00J29). www.researchgate.net
- Gagnaire-Renou, E., Benoit, M., Badulin, S. I. 2011 On weakly turbulent scaling of wind sea in simulations of fetch-limited growth. J. Fluid Mech. 669, 178–213. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Babanin, A. V., Resio, D. & Zakharov, V. 2007 Weakly turbulent laws of wind-wave growth. J. Fluid Mech. 591, 339-378. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Pushkarev, A. N., Resio, D. & Zakharov, V. E. 2005 Self-similarity of wind-driven seas. Nonl. Proc. Geophys. 12, 891-946. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Korotkevich, A. O., Resio, D. & Zakharov, V. E. 2008 Wave-wave interactions in wind-driven mixed seas. In Proceedings of the Rogue waves 2008 Workshop, pp. 77-85. IFREMER, Brest, France. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Babanin, A. V., Resio, D., Zakharov, V. 2008 Numerical verification of weakly turbulent law of wind wave growth. In IUTAM Symposium on Hamiltonian Dynamics, Vortex Structures, Turbulence. Proceedings of the IUTAM Symposium held in Moscow, 25-30 August, 2006 (ed. A. V. Borisov, V. V. Kozlov, I. S. Mamaev & M. A. Sokolovskiy), IUTAM Bookseries , vol. 6, pp. 175-190. Springer, ISBN: 978-1-4020-6743-3. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin S. I., A. N. Pushkarev, D. Resio, V. E. Zakharov 2004 Self-similarity of wind-wave spectra. Numerical and theoretical studies // Rogue Waves 2004 / Ed. by M. Olagnon, M. Prevosto. Editions IFREMER, Brest, Vol. 39. Pp. 205-214. www.researchgate.net
- Shrira, V. I., Badulin, S. I. & Voronovich, A. G. 2003 Electromagnetic scattering from sea surface in the presence of wind-wave patterns. Int. J. Remote Sensing 24 (24), 5075-5093. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin S. I., Annenkov S. Y. 2001 Multi-wave resonances and formation of high-amplitude waves in the ocean // Rogue Waves 2000 / Ed. by M. Olagnon, G. Athanasoulis. Editions IFREMER, Brest. Vol. 32. Pp. 205-214. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin S. I., Shrira V. I., Voronovich A. G., Kozheloupova N., S.Yurezanskaya Y. 2003 Search for characteristics of deterministic dynamics in wind wave data // Wind Over Waves II: Forecasting and Fundamentals of Applications / Ed. by S. G. Sajjadi, Lord J. C. R. Hunt. Horwood Publishing Limited, 2003. Vol. 6. Pp. 126-139. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Lavrova, O. Yu. & Sabinin, K. D. 1999 Radar observation of internal wave and current. Inter. J. Rem. Sens. Envir. 68 (3), 261-267.
- Badulin, S. I. & Shrira, V. I. 1999 On the global dynamics in the simplest models of 3-d water wave patterns. Eur. J. Mech. B/Fluids 18 (3), 107-120. www.researchgate.net
- Shrira, V. I., Badulin, S. I. & Kharif, C. 1996 A model of water wave `horse-shoe' patterns. J. Fluid Mech. 318, 375-404. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Shrira, V. I., Kharif, C. & Ioualalen, M. 1995 On two approaches to the problem of instability of short-crested water waves. J. Fluid Mech. 303, 297-325. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I. & Shrira, V. I. 1993 On the irreversibility of internal wave dynamics owing to trapping by large-scale ow nonuniformity. J. Fluid Mech. 251, 21-53. www.researchgate.net
- Badulin, S. I., Shrira, V. I. & Tsimring, L. Sh. 1985 The trapping and vertical focusing of internal waves in a pycnocline due to horizontal inhomogeneities of density and currents. J. Fluid Mech. 158, 199-218. www.researchgate.net