On August 18, 2020 at 18.30, we invite you to an online meeting with a team of scientists from the Laboratory of Marine Mammals of Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS, one of the leading Russian research centers in the field of oceanology.
The conversation will focus on the results of a comprehensive three-year project to study and monitor the population of the Black Sea dolphins.
Project "Dolphins of the Black Sea" of Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS is carried out with the support of Rosneft Oil Company.
Topics for discussion:
- How do dolphins speak and how do scientists decipher their language? About acoustic signaling of dolphins. With what methods and with what equipment it is studied.
- Number, frequency of occurrence, distribution of dolphins in the Black Sea today and half a century ago. What modern research results have shown and what ideas about the cetaceans of the Black Sea were several decades ago.
- Counting dolphins from the air. How difficult is it to spot a dolphin in a helicopter photo? How and with what accuracy was it possible to count cetaceans in the Black Sea?
- Modern threats to the Black Sea dolphins. Dolphins in the Black Sea are very vulnerable: "garbage" threat, death in fishing nets. What efforts should be made to preserve unique animals?
- Moderator - director, winner of Russian and international festivals of documentary films, films about science, etc., head of the video studio of the Institute of Oceanology of RAS Vladimir Marin
- Scientists of Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS, Laboratory of Marine Mammals:
Krasnova Vera Vladislavovna - PhD (Biological Sciences), Project Manager, Senior Researcher
Agafonov Alexander Vladislavovich - PhD (Biological Sciences), Senior Researcher
Feedback from the audience will be organized.
The most interesting questions will be asked live on the air.
The most active participants in the discussion will receive souvenirs with the symbols of the project!