PhD, Leading Researcher
Dmitry A. Astakhov – PhD, Leading Researcher of the Laboratory of Oceanic Ichthyofauna at the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (IO RAS), Moscow, Russia.
In 1976, he graduated from the Faculty of Biology (Chair of Ichthyology) of Lomonosov Moscow State University and postgraduate school of Shirshov Institute of Oceanology (Laboratory of Oceanic Ichthyofauna) in 1979. In 1984, he defended his PhD thesis «The morphology of the acoustico-lateralis system of Beloniform fishes and its significance in the group taxonomy». Since 1976 up to now, he is in the stаff of the Laboratory of Oceanic Ichthyofauna of Shirshov Institute of Oceanology as a junior researcher, researcher, senior researcher and leading researcher (now). Dr. Astakhov specializes in the study of morphology, taxonomy, biology and distribution of reef fishes.
Dr. Astakhov participated in 26 oceanic and coastal marine expeditions in various regions of the tropical Indo-Pacific. Since 1987, he has been taking part in the research of the Russian-Vietnamese Research and Technology Center, where he is the responsible performer of the theme «Species diversity and distribution of reef fishes in the coastal waters of Vietnam». Since that time, he has been leading experimental studies of the life cycles of some groups of reef fishes in order to formulate a strategy for the reintroduction of rare species of Vietnamese fauna into nature. Dr. Astakhov is the author of more than 60 peer-reviewed papers and co-author of 3 books.
Member of the Editorial Boards of the journals: «Journal of Ichthyology» (since 2011), included in the list of the Higher Attestation Commission, and «Journal of Oceanological Research» (since 2017).
Main publications list of D.A. Astakhov over the past 5 years (2015-2020)
- Astakhov D.A. Materials on fauna of anemonefishes (Pomacentridae, Amphiprioninae) and their host sea anemones (Cnidaria, Actiniaria) on reefs of Ly Son Islands (South China Sea, Central Vietnam). Journal of Ichthyology, 2015, Vol. 55, No. 5, pp. 753–756, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0032945215050033
- Astakhov D.A. Long-term maintenance and breeding of anemonefishes (Actinopterygii, Perciformes, Pomacentridae, Amphiprioninae) in symbiosis with anemone Entacmaea quadricolor (Rueppell & Leuckart 1828) (Cnidaria, Actiniaria) at Moscow Zoo and perspectives of this species of sea anemone for reintroduction of anemonefishes into the wild. Scientific Research in Zoological Parks, 2015, Vol. 31, Moscow: EARAZA – Moscow Zoo, pp. 5–19, ISBN 978-5-00077-333-8.
- Astakhov D.A., Savinkin O.V., Ponomarev S.A., Lai Duy Phuong, and Dao Duy Thu. Preliminary annotated list of species of the family Chaetodontidae (Actinopterygii) from Ly Son Islands (South China Sea, Central Vietnam). Journal of Ichthyology, 2016, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 154–158, https://doi.org/10.1134/S003294521601001X
- Astakhov D.A., Savinkin O.V., and Ponomarev S.A. 2016. Fauna of anemonefishes (Pomacentridae, Amphiprioninae) and their host sea anemones (Cnidaria, Actiniaria) on reefs of Phu Quy, Con Son, and An Thoi Islands (South China Sea, South Vietnam, and Gulf of Thailand) and a review of these groups from the coastal waters of Vietnam. Journal of Ichthyology, 2016, Vol. 56, No. 6, pp. 832–847, https://doi.org/10.1134/S0032945216060011
- Astakhov D.A., Osipova A.E., and Morochko T.V. The experience of prolonged maintenance of marine fishes at Moscow Zoo. Subfamily Epinephelinae. Tribe Epinephelini: Cephalopholis argus Schneider, 1801 (Actinopterygii, Perciformes, Serranidae). Scientific Research in Zoological Parks, 2016, Vol. 32, Moscow: EARAZA – Moscow Zoo, pp. 22–29.
- Astakhov D.A. and Savinkin O.V. Large clonal group of the obligate host sea anemone Entacmaea quadricolor founded without symbiotic fishes – environmental conditions impact. Journal of Oceanological Research, 2017, Vol. 45, No. 1, pp. 90–98, doi: 10.29006/1564-2291.JOR-2017.45(1).8.
- Astakhov D.A. Fauna of lionfishes of the genus Dendrochirus (Scorpaenidae, Pteroinae) on coral reefs of Nha Trang Bay (South China Sea, Central Vietnam). Journal of Ichthyology, 2018, Vol. 58, No. 5, pp. 679–687, doi: 10.1134/S0032945218050016.
- Astakhov D.A. and Sapozhnikov Ph.V. Feeding of some species of parrotfishes (Scaridae) on brown coral sands in Nha Trang Bay (South China Sea, Central Vietnam). Journal of Oceanological Research, 2018, Vol. 46, No 3, pp. 85–98, doi: 10.29006/1564-2291.JOR-2018.46(3).6.
- Astakhov D.A. and Savinkin O.V. Occurrence of Hemitaurichthys polylepis in the Coastal Waters of Southern Central Vietnam (South China Sea). Journal of Ichthyology, 2019, Vol. 59, No. 2, pp. 271–274, doi: 10.1134/S0032945219020024.
- Astakhov D.A. Anomalous behavior of free-swimming Echeneis naucrates (Echeneidae) in the aquaculture areas of Nha Trang Bay (South China Sea, southern Central Vietnam). Journal of Ichthyology, 2020, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 485–490.