Biologist, doctor of biological Sciences (1999), since 1999 – head of the Laboratory of oceanic ichthyofauna.
In 1972 he graduated from the cathedra of ichthyology of Moscow state University. From 1972 to 1983 he worked in all-Union research Institute of marine fisheries and Oceanography. He performed research on the reproduction and development of commercial and mass fish species in the Atlantic and Pacific oceans. The work was devoted to the morphology and ecology of fish in early ontogenesis, as well as the elucidation of the basic parameters of reproduction and patterns of distribution and abundance of fish larvae depending on environmental factors. By results of studies of early stages of development of flatfish in the Northwest Atlantic in 1979 he successfully defended the thesis.
Since 1983 he worked at the Institute of Oceanology, first as senior researcher and since 1999 as the head of the Laboratory of oceanic ichthyofauna.
A significant portion of his publications is devoted to the development of problems of the morphology, anatomy, individual development and evolution of the opened by him a new family of flatfish of the southern ocean. In 1998 on this subject, he defended his doctoral dissertation.
The area of his major research interests also includes taxonomy and ecology of early stages of fish development at high and low latitudes, he has developed an ecological classification of flounder fish, he first described the larvae of several dozen species of oceanic fish, it was discovered the regularities of distribution of ichthyoplankton in areas of upwelling Eastern Pacific and large-scale frontal zones of the World ocean.
He participated in 10 long sea expeditions.
His studies are significant contribution to decision of some of the key fundamental problems of biooceanology related to cognition of the regularities of formation of biological productivity of the ocean, the reproduction and development of marine fish.
He is the author of over 100 published scientific works.
- Evseenko S.A., Nevinsky M.M. Breeding and development of witch flounder in the Northwest Atlantic Ocean // Int. Comm. Northw. Atl. Fish. (ICNAF). Ann. Res. Doc. No 73/49, Ser. 2990. 1973. 20 p.
- Evseenko S.A., Nevinsky M.M. Spawning and development of witch flounder, Glyptocephalus cynoglossus L., in the Northwest Atalantic // ICNAF. Res. Bull. No. 11. 1975. p.111-123.
- Evseenko S.A. Larval Engyophrys sentus Ginsburg (Bothidae) from American Mediterranean // FAO Fish. Rep. No. 200. 1977. p.171-185.
- Serebryakov V.P., Nevinsky M.M., Evseenko S.A. Passive migration during early ontogeny of the West Atlantic commercial bottom fishes // USSR-US Symp. on Marine Ecosystems. Tallin. USSR. 1978. p. 19-22.
- Evseenko S.A. Sinistral flounder larvae of the West Atlantic // ICES. Earl. Life. Hist. Symp. Woods Hole 10 SD:1. 1979. 27 p.
- Evseenko S.A., Nevinsky M.M. Drift of eggs and larvae of the yellowtail flounder (Limanda ferruginea (Storer) in the Northwest Atlantic // NAFO SCR. Doc. 80/IX/118. Ser. No. 187. 1980. 10 p.
- Evseenko S.A. On the sinistral flatfish larvae (Scophthalmidae, Bothidae) from the West Atlantic // Rapp. P.-v. Reun. Cons. Int. Explor. Mer. 178. 1981. p. 593-594.
- Evseenko S.A. Ichthyoplankton of the Canadian zone of the Gulf Stream in November-December, 1974 // NAFO SCR. Doc. 82/IV/3 Ser. No. 488. 1982. 34 p.
- Evseenko S.A. Ichthyoplankton of Slope and Gulf Stream waters off Nova Scotia in late autumn 1974 // J. Northwest Atl. Fish. Sci. No. 3. 1982. p. 127-139.
- Nielsen J., Evseenko S.A. Larval stages Benthocometes robustus (Pisces: Ophidiidae) // Cybium. V. 13. No. 1. 1989. p. 7-12.
- Evseenko S.A., Kock K.-H., Nevinsky M.M. Early life history of the Patagonian Toothfish, Dissostichus eleginoides Smitt, 1898 in the Antarctic Sector of the Southern Ocean // Antarctic Science (Cambridge). V. 7. No. 3. 1995. p. 221-226.
- Evseenko S.A. Development and relationships of the Achiropsettidae // Intern. Larval Fish Conference Abstr. Sydney 26-30 June 1995. p. 29.
- Evseenko S.A., John H.-Ch., Klenz B., Zelck C. Variability in larvae of genus Loweina, with descriptions of larval Loweina interrupta (Taning, 1928) and Loweina ?terminata Bekker, 1964 (Teleostei, Myctophidae) // Mitt. Hamb. Zool. Mus. Inst. Bd. 95. 1998. S. 179-196.
- Evseenko S.A. Family Achiropsettidae and its position in taxonomical and ecological classifications of the order Pleuronectiformes // J. Ichthyology. Vol. 40. Suppl. 1. 2000. S110-S138.
- Evseenko S.A. An annotated catalogue of pleuronectiform fishes (order Pleuronectiformes) of the seas of Russia and adjacent countries // J. Ichthyology. Vol. 43. Suppl. 1. 2003. P. S57-S74.
- Evseenko S.A. Pleuronectidae Cuvier 1816 – right-eye flounders // Calif. Acad. Sci. Annotated checklists of fishes. No. 37. 2004. 37 p.
- Evseenko S.A. Species composition and distribution of lanternfish larvae (Myctophidae) in the eastern South Pacific // J. Ichthyology. Vol. 46. Suppl. 1. 2006. S110-S115.
- Evseenko S.A., Kobylianskii S.H., Shtaut M.I. On micronekton and ichthyoplankton of the frontal zone of the Gulf Stream and subpolar waters (polygone “Titanic”) // J. Ichthyology, Vol. 46. Suppl. 1. 2006. P. S101-S109.
- Evseenko S.A., Okiyama M. 2006. Remarkable ophidiid larva (Neobythitinae) from New Guinean waters // Ichthyol. Res. Vol. 53. 2006. P. 192-196.
- Parin N.V., Belyanina T.N., Evseenko S.A. Materials to the revision of the genus Dolichopteryx and closely related taxa (Ioichthys, Bathylychnops) with the separation of a new genus Dolichopteroides and description of three new species (fam. Opisthoproctidae) // J. Ichthyology. Vol. 49. No. 10. 2009. p. 839-851.