Deputy Director for Scientific and Organizational Work
Head of Laboratory, DSc (Geographical Sciences)
Corresponding Member of RAS
36, Nakhimovskiy prospect, Moscow, 117997, Russia
+7 (499) 124-59-94 , internal phone 0400
* Required fields
DSc on Geographical Sciences, Corresponding Member of RAS, Head of Laboratory of Ocean Interaction with the Land Waters and Anthropogenic Processes, Deputy Director for Scientific and Organizational work of the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences.
In 1989, he graduated from the Physics Department of Lomonosov Moscow State University.
In 1992, he completed Postgraduate Studies at the Zubov State Oceanographic Institute.
After graduation he defended a thesis for PhD of physico-mathematical Sciences on "the Daily cycle of thermal and mechanical interaction of ocean and atmosphere".
In 2000, he defended his DSc dissertation on "a Wide shelf under the influence of intense continental runoff".
Since 1992, he worked at the Zubov State Oceanographic Institute.
1993 – 1994 – University of Oregon, USA.
1994 – 1998 – University of Rio Grande, Brazil.
Since 1998, he has been working at the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences, where he successively held the positions of Senior Researcher, Leading Researcher, Head of the laboratory
Since 2006 – Deputy Director of Physics Department Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of Russian Academy of Sciences.
His Research interests are related to the physics of ocean interaction with freshwater continental runoff, as well as various forms of anthropogenic impacts on marine systems.
Main scientific results
- in the period from 2002 to the present, under the leadership of Peter O. Zavyalov, a program of integrated field monitoring of the Aral Sea was developed, which allowed us to reach a new level of understanding of the physical mechanisms that determine the regime and variability of the sea in the current conditions of acute shortage of flow of its feeding rivers;
- based on annual field measurements (2005-2016), numerical modeling, and remote sensing, the regularities of transport of river pollutants in the coastal zone of the Russian sector of the Black sea are described. A numerical model of the dynamics of river plumes is constructed;
- comprehensive studies of the southwestern Atlantic shelf, which is affected by the variability of the flow of the Parana and Uruguay rivers, have been carried out. One of the results of the work was the discovery of a previously unknown flow in the opposite direction ("Rio Grande current") on the shelf to the West of the Brazilian flow, which has a runoff character.
Author of the monograph " physical Oceanography of the dying Aral Sea "(2005) and more than 80 scientific articles, as well as a number of popular scientific publications.
Izhitskaya E. S., Egorov A.V., Zavyalov P. O. Modern research of dissolved methane content in residual reservoirs of the Aral Sea. Complex research of the World ocean. Materials of the V all-Russian scientific conference of young scientists, 2020, pp. 368-369.
Zavialov P. O., Izycki A. S., Kirillin G. B., Rezvov V. Y., Alymkulov S. A., Jumaliev K. M., Kurbaniyazov A. K. Features of thermohaline structure and water exchange in lake Issyk-Kul. Oceanology, 2020, Vol. 60, No. 3, pp. 341-354.
Zavyalov P. O. Some questions of Oceanology through the eyes of a physicist. Proceedings of the Ufa scientific center of the Russian Academy of Sciences, 2020, No. 2, pp. 107-109.
Korotenko K.A., Zavialov P.O., Chen Y.-Y., Lee H.H. A STUDY OF CIRCULATION, TURBULENCE, AND TIDAL STREAM RESOURCES IN THE TAIWAN STRAIT. Frontiers in Marine Science, 2020, Vol. 7, P. 368.
Nemirovskaya I. A., Zavyalov P. O., Konovalov B. V., Khramtsova A.V. Content and composition of hydrocarbons in water and precipitation in the Kerch Strait area. Reports of the Russian Academy of Sciences. earth science, 2020, Vol. 492, No. 1, pp. 118-123.
Nemirovskaya I. A., Konovalov B. V., Zavyalov P. O., Onegina V. D., Khalikov I. S. Oil Pollution in the Russian sector of the Black sea. Geology of the seas and oceans. Proceedings of the XXIII International scientific conference (School) on marine Geology, 2019, pp. 70-74.
Andrulionis N. Yu., Zavialov P. O. Laboratory tests of main component composition hyperhaline lakes. Marine hydrophysical journal, 2019, Vol. 35, No. 1 (205), pp. 16-36.
Izhitskaya E.S., Egorov A.V., Zavialov P.O., Yakushev E.V., Izhitskiy A.S. Dissolved methane in the residual basins of the Aral Sea. Environmental Research Letters, 2019, Vol. 14, No. 6, P. 065005.
Makkaveev P. N., Zavyalov P. O. Flow of small and medium-sized rivers of the Russian black sea coast and its influence on water characteristics. Monograph. Moscow: 2018, pp. 287-322.
- member of the editorial boards of the journals "Oceanology" and " Water resources»,
Other professional activities
- Chairman of the section of the Academic Council on the physical direction;
- member of the specialized doctoral Council OF the P. p. Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- scientific Secretary and member of the Bureau of the coordinating Council of professors of the Russian Academy of Sciences;
- lead author of the 5th assessment report of the intergovernmental Commission on climate change (IPCC);
- convener of the European geophysical society section on lakes and inland seas.