Scientific Secretary of the IO RAS,
Senior Researcher, PhD (Geographic Sciences)
36, Nakhimovskiy prospect, Moscow, 117997,
+7(499)124-59-92, internal phone 0309
* Required fields
In 2001 she graduated from the Department of Oceanology of the Faculty of Geography of M.V. Lomonosov Moscow State University and in the same year she entered the graduate school at the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS.
In 2006 she defended the thesis "Interannual variability of the characteristics of water masses and their propagation in the subpolar North Atlantic." She has been working at the Institute of Oceanology since 2001. She has published more than 50 scientific papers, including 25 articles in peer-reviewed scientific journals.
- water masses and water circulation in the North Atlantic Ocean
- winter convection in the Subpolar Circuit of the North Atlantic
- meridional circulation of water
- hydrological processes in the Black Sea
- A hypothesis was confirmed about the renewal of the deep waters of the World Ocean as a result of deep winter convection in the Irminger Sea. Confirmation of this hypothesis, put forward at the beginning of the XX century by F.Nansen, was an important stage in the study of the mechanisms of global inter-ocean circulation of water;
- The mechanisms of long-term changes in the temperature, salinity, and intensity of the circulation of the waters of the subarctic Atlantic on a scale of decades have been revealed and studied. A close relationship between the characteristics of the entire water column in the region and the intensity of the western atmospheric transport over the Atlantic has been identified and explained;
- A new method for quantitative assessment of changes in the flow rate of deep and near-bottom currents of the World Ocean was developed, based on the joint use of data from ship sounding of the water column and data on sea level anomalies obtained from satellites;
- For the first time, on the basis of observational data, the average long-term values of water transport by ocean currents in the subarctic Atlantic are quantitatively estimated, including the intensity and vertical structure of the meridional circulation of water;
- It is established that in the subarctic Atlantic the transformation of warm waters of the upper link of meridional thermohaline circulation into the cold dense waters of its lower link occurs mainly due to cooling of surface waters in the eastern branch of the Subpolar Cycle.
- Dobrolyubov S., Falina A. Interannual Variability of the Intermediate North Atlantic Water Circulation from a Multiparameter Analysis of the Water Masses. Oceanology. 2002, Vol. 42, No. 5, p. 619-627.
- Falina A., Volkov I. On the Fine Structure and THermohalinic Stability of the Abyssal Water in the Black Sea. Oceanology. 2003, Vol. 43, No. 4, p. 485-492.
- Falina A. Interannual Variability of Water Mass Properties over the Transatlantic Section along 60° N in the Subpolar North Atlantic. Oceanology. 2005, Vol. 45, No. 4, p. 474-487.
- Falina A., Volkov I. The Influence of Double Diffusion on the General Hydrological Structure of the Deep Waters in the Black Sea. Oceanology. 2005, Vol. 45, No. 1, p. 16-25.
- Neretin L., Volkov I., Rozanov A., Demidova T., Falina A. Biogeochemistry of the Black Sea Anoxic Zone with a Reference to Sulphur Cycle. In: Neretin L. (eds) Past and Present Water Column Anoxia. Nato Science Series: IV: Earth and Environmental Sciences. 2006, Vol. 64, p. 67. Springer, Dordrecht. DOI:10.1007/1-4020-4297-3_04
- Falina A., Sarafanov А., Sokov A. Variability and renewal of Labrador Sea Water in the Irminger Basin in 1991–2004. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 2007, Vol. 112, No 1, C01006, DOI:10.1029/2005JC003348
- Sarafanov A., Sokov A., Demidov A., Falina A. Warming and Salinification of Intermediate and Deep Waters in the Irminger Sea and Iceland Basin in 1997–2006. Geophysical Research Letters. 2007, Vol. 34, No. 23, L23609, DOI:10.1029/2007GL031074
- Falina A., Sarafanov A., Volkov I. Warm Intrusions in the Intermediate Layer (150–500 m) of the Black Sea Eastern Gyre Interior. Geophysical Research Letters. 2007, Vol. 34, No. 22, p. L22602, DOI:10.1029/2007GL031016
- Falina A., Sarafanov А., Sokov A. On the Renewal of Labrador Sea Water in the Irminger Basin. Oceanology. 2007, Vol. 47. No. 4. p. 494-499. DOI:10.1134/S0001437007040066
- Sarafanov A., Falina A., Sokov A., Demidov A. Intense Warming and Salinification of Intermediate Waters of Southern Origin in the Eastern Subpolar North Atlantic in the 1990s to mid-2000s. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 2008, Vol. 113. No. 12. p. C12022. DOI:10.1029/2008JC004975
- Sarafanov A., Falina A., Mercier H., Lherminier P., Sokov A. Recent Changes in the Greenland–Scotland Overflow-derived Water Transport Inferred from Hydrographic Observations in the Southern Irminger Sea. Geophysical Research Letters. 2009, Vol. 36. No. 13. p. L13606, DOI:10.1029/2009GL038385
- Sarafanov A., Sokov A., Falina A. Warming and Salinification of Labrador Sea Water and Deep Waters in the Subpolar North Atlantic at 60° in 1997-2006. Oceanology. 2009, Vol. 49, No 2, p.193-204.
- Sarafanov A., Falina A., Lherminier P., Mercier H., Sokov A., Gourcuff C. Assessing Decadal Changes in the Deep Western Boundary Current Absolute Transport Southeast of Cape Farewell (Greenland) from Hydrography and Altimetry. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 2010, Vol. 115, No 11, C11003, DOI:10.1029/2009JC005811
- Sarafanov A., Mercier H., Falina A., Sokov A., Lherminier P. Cessation and Partial Reversal of Deep Water Freshening in the Northern North Atlantic: Observation-based Estimates and Attribution. Tellus, Series A: Dynamic Meteorology and Oceanography. 2010, V. 62. No 1, P. 80-90. DOI:10.1111/j.1600-0870.2009.00418.x
- Lherminier P., Mercier H., Huck T., Gourcuff C., Perez F., Morin P., Sarafanov A., Falina A. The Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation and the subpolar Gyre Observed at the A25-ovide Section in June 2002 and 2004. Deep Sea Rasearch Part I: Oceanographic Research Papers. 2010, Vol. 57, No 11, p.1374-1391.
- Sarafanov A., Falina A., Mercier H., Sokov A., Lherminier P., Gourcuff C., Gladyshev S., Gaillard F., Daniault N. Mean Full-depth Summer Circulation and Transports at the Northern Periphery of the Atlantic Ocean in the 2000s. Journal of Geophysical Research: Oceans. 2012, Vol. 117, No 1, Issue C1, C01014, DOI:10.1029/2011JC007572
- Falina A., Sarafanov A., Mercier H., Lherminier P., Sokov A., Daniault N. On the Cascading of Dense Shelf Waters in the Irminger Sea. Journal of Physical Oceanography. 2012, Vol. 42, No 12, 2254-2267. DOI:10.1175/JPO-D-12-012.1
- Sarafanov A.A., Falina A.S., Sokov A.V. Long-term Changes in the Characteristics and Circulation of Deep Waters in the Northern North Atlantic: The Role of Regional and External Factors. Doklady Earth Sciences. 2013, Vol. 450, No 2, p. 643-646. DOI:10.1134/S1028334X13060044
- Falina A., Gladyshev S., Kolokolova A. Russian Field Studies of Water Exchange Between the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans in 2011. Oceanology. 2014, Vol. 54, No 2, p. 259-261.
- Falina A., Sarafanov A., Gladyshev S., Sokov A., Zapotyl'ko V., Gladyshev V. Water Exchange Between the Atlantic and Arctic Oceans: Russian Rasearch Expeditions in 2011-2013. Oceanology. 2015, Vol. 55, No 3, p. 441-444. DOI:10.1134/S0001437015030054
- Falina A.S., Sarafanov A.A. On the formation of the lower limb of the North Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation. Doklady Earth Sciences. 2015, Vol. 461, No 2, p. 427-431. DOI:/10.1134/S1028334X15040194
- Mercier H., Desbruyères D., Ferron B., Gourcuff C., Huck T., Lherminier P., Gaillard F., Thierry V., Sarafanov A., Falina A., Daniault N. Valiability of the Meridional Overturning Circulation at the Greenland-Portugal Ovide Section from 1993 to 2010. Progress in Oceanography. 2015, Vol. 132, p. 250-261.
- Gladyshev S.V., Gladyshev V.S., Falina A.S., Sarafanov A.A. Winter Convection in the Irminger Sea in 2004-2014. Oceanology. 2016, Vol. 56, No 3, p. 326-335. DOI:10.1134/S0001437016030073
- Daniault N., Mercier H., Lherminier P., Sarafanov A., Falina A., Zunino P., Pérez F.F., Ríos A.F., Ferron B., Huck T., Thierry V., Gladyshev S. The Northern North Atlantic Ocean Mean Circulation in the Early 21st Century. Progress in Oceanography. 2016, Vol. 146, p. 142–158. DOI:10.1016/j.pocean.2016.06.007
- Falina A.S., Sarafanov A.A., Ozsoy E., Turuncoglu U.U. Observed Basin-Wide Propagation of Mediterranean Water in the Black Sea. Journal of Geophysical Research. 2017, Vol. 122, No 4, p. 3141-3151, DOI:10.1002/2017JC012729
- Sarafanov A., Falina A., Sokov A., Zapotylko V., Gladyshev S. Ship-Based Monitoring of the Northern North Atlantic Ocean by the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology. The Main Results. In: Velarde M., Tarakanov R., Marchenko A. (eds) The Ocean in Motion. Springer Oceanography. Springer, Cham. 2018, p. 415-427. DOI:10.1007/978-3-319-71934-4_25