Doctor of Geology and Mineralogy, Professor
* Required fields
Geologist, doctor of geological-mineralogical Sciences, Professor (2001), RANS academician, chief researcher of the Laboratory of physico-geological studies
In 1958 she graduated from the Department of lithology, petrography and geochemistry of sedimentary rocks of I.M.Gubkin Moscow oil Institute.
To work in the Institute of Oceanology she moved from the GEOKHI RAS in may 1998. From 1972 to 2005 she participated in many marine expeditions of the IO RAS and other organizations.
The focus of work is the study of the geochemical and biogeochemical cycles of elements and metals. She is a leading scholar in the field of isotope Geochemistry.
She is one of the authors of radioisotope methodology for the quantitative analysis of the rate of biogeochemical processes of sulfur and carbon cycle in sediments and water column of reservoirs. She created a quantitative model of the sulfur and carbon cycle in the Black and Baltic seas. The developed methodology of complex analysis of modern sediments of water bodies (lithologic-mineralogical, isotopic-geochemical, and radioisotope) are used for environmental monitoring.
She has developed models of the processes of primary and secondary chemosynthesis in the ocean, made the first quantitative estimates of products of chemosynthesis and methanotrophy on the active methane seeps and deep sea hydrothermal fields in the ocean.
In addition to photo and chemosynthetic sources of production of organic matter, it was opened the third methane formed during the oxidation of methane by methanotrophic microorganisms (in cooperation with the biologists from INMI RAS).
She is a member of the specialized Council for GIN, a member of the Editorial Board of the International projects on problems of the environment of the International Council of Scientific Unions. At different times she was a member of the International Committee on problems of the biogeochemistry of the environment, gave a course of lectures on the global biogeochemical cycles of elements at the Geological faculty of Lomonosov Moscow state University, for many years was a member of the editorial Board of the journal "Geochemistry".
She is the author of over 250 articles and 8 collective monographs, 6 of which were published abroad.
- Lein A.Yu. The isotopic mass balance of sulphur in oceanic sediments (the Pacific Ocean as an example) // Marine Chemistry. 1985. N 16. P. 249-257.
- Brimblecome P., Lein A.Yu. (eds.). Evolution of the Global Biogeochemical Sulfur Cycle. J.Wiley and Sons Chichester-NY-Brisba Brisbane-Toronto. 1989. 242 с.
- Lein A.Yu. Native elemental sulphur deposit. / Stable isotopes natural a. antropogenic sulphur in environmental. Eds. R. Krouse, V. Grinenko. SCOPE 43. J. Wiley&Sons. Chechester. 1991. P. 91-95.
- Lein A.Yu., Ivanov M.V. On the Sulfur and Carbon Balance in the Black Sea / In.: E. Izdar, J.W. Murrey (Eds.). Black Sea Oceanogr. Kluwer Acad. Publ. 1991. P. 307-318.
- Lein A.Yu., Ivanov M.V. Interaction of carbon, sulphur and oxygen cycles in continental and marginal seas / In: Sulphur cycling on the continents / Eds. R.W.Howarth, J.W.B. Stewart, M.V.Ivanov. SCOPE 48. J.Wiley&Sons. Chichester. 1992. P. 189-213.
- Ivanov M.V., Lein A.Yu., Mukhin L.M. Geochemical evidences of methaneproducing bacteria’s activity in subsurface habitats on Mars // Lunar Planet. Sci. 1992. V. 23. P. 458-460.
- Pimenov N.V., Davidova I.A., Lein A.Yu., Belyaev S.S. Microbial processes in marine sediment in the Zaire river delta and the Benguela upwelling region // J. Microbiology. 1994. N 1. P. 157-179.
- Ivanov M.V., Lein A.Yu. Changes in the stable isotope composition of gases and minerals as a result of microbial activity / Ed. Hoover R.B. Instruments, Methods and Missions for the Investigation of Extraterrestrial Microorganisms. Proceedings of SPIE. 1997. V. 3111. P. 395-404.
- Gebruk A.V., Lein A.Yu., Galkin S.V., Miller Y.M., Pimenov N.V., Moskalev L.I., Ivanov M.V. Trophic structure of the Broken Spur Hydrothermal Community Shown by Carbon Stable Isotope and C:H:N:S: Data // Bridge Newsletter. 1997. N. 12. P. 40-44.
- Lein A.Yu., Pimenov N.V., Galchenko V.F. Bacterial chemosynthesis and methanotrophy in the Manus and Lau basins ecosystems // Marine Geology. 1997. Vol. 142. P. 47-57.
- Lein A., Vogt P., Crane K., Egorov A., Ivanov M. Chemical and isotopic evidences for the nature of the fluid in CH4-containing sediments of the Haakon Mosby Mud Volcano // Geo-Marine Letters. 1999. Vol. 19. N ?. P. 76-86.
- Lein A., Pimenov N., Guillou C., Martin J.-M., Lancelot C., Rusanov I., Yusupov S., Miller Yu., Ivanov M.. Seasonal Dynamics of the Sulphate Reduction Rate on the North-Western Black Sea // Estuarine, coastal and shelf science. 2002. V. 54. N 3. P. 385-401.
- Simoneit B.R.T., Lein A.Yu., Peresypkin V.I., Osipov G.A. Composition and origin of hydrothermal petroleum and associated lipids in the sulfide deposits of the Rainbow Field (Mid-Atlantic Ridge at 36? N) // Geochim. et Cosmoch. Acta. 2004. V. 68. N 10. P. 2275-2294.
- Ivanov M.V., Lein A.Yu. Fractionation of stable isotopes of carbon and sulfur during biological processes in the Black Sea // Ed.: L.N. Neretin. Past and present water column anoxia. Springer. 2006. P. 373-417.
- Leibman M.O., Kizyakov A.I., Lein A.Yu., Perednya D.D., Savvichev A.S., Vanshtein B.G. Sulfur and carbon isotopes within atmospheric, surface and ground water, snow and ice as indicators of origin of tabular ground ice in the Russian Arctic // Permafrost and Periglacial Processes. 2011. V.22. P. 39-48. Published online in Wiley Online Library. DOI: 10.1002/ppp: 716.