Head of Laboratory
PhD (Geological and Mineralogical Sciences)
* Required fields
Geophysicist, PhD (Geological and Mineralogical Sciences) (1992), Head of the Laboratory of Geophysical Fields (2002), leading researcher, works at Shirshov Institute of Oceanology since 1980.
The main direction of his scientific research is the study of the low-frequency natural electromagnetic field of the World Ocean and its use to study the deep structure of the earth's crust and the upper mantle of the oceans, as well as to study the space-time variability of the World Ocean.
He constructed deep geoelectric models of the crust and upper mantle in the northeastern and northwestern parts of the Pacific Ocean and a number of other regions, and also identified and studied the seasonal and synoptic variability of the main currents in the Sea of Japan based on data from long-term observations of the potential difference at the ends of submarine cables.
A new method of electromagnetic monitoring of the transfer of water masses, heat and various impurities through sea straits has been developed, experimental work has been organized and carried out to measure the electric fields induced by coastal currents in the White and Black Seas.
Palshin is the chairman of the Committee of IAGA Division VI - Electromagnetic Induction in the Earth and Planetary Bodies, as well as a member of the editorial board of the international scientific journal «Acta Geophysica».
Palshin is the author of over 90 scientific publications.
- Yegorov I.V., Palshin N. A., 1994. Numerical modelling of the telluric fields in multisheet inhomogeneous media (in Russian), Fizika Zemli, No 6, 68-72.
- Palshin N. A., Abramov Yu. M., De Santis A. , Meloni A., Poray-Koshits A. M., Shneyer V. S., and Abramova L. M., 1995. Magnetovariational gradient sounding in the Tyrrhenian basin, Physics of the Solid Earth, 31, N 4, 352- 355 ( Russian Edition April 1995)
- Palshin N. A., 1996. Oceanic electromagnetic studies. A review. Surveys in Geophysics, Issue 4, 17:465:491.
- Vanyan L. L., Utada H., Shimizu H., Tanaka Y., Palshin N. A., Stepanov V., Kouznetsov V., Medzhitov R. D. and Nozdrina A. A., 1998. Studies on the lithosphere and the water transport by using the Japan Sea submarine cable (JASC): 1. Theoretical considerations, Earth Planet Space, 50, 35-42.
- Palshin N. A., L. L. Vanyan, R. D. Medzhitov, G. I. Shapiro, M. A. Evdoshenko, H. Utada, H. Shimizu and Y. Tanaka, 2001. Use of the Nakhodka–Naoetsu submarine cables for studying the temporal variability of the integral water transport in the Sea of Japan, Oceanology, 41(3), 466-473.
- Palshin N. A., Vanyan L. L., Yegorov I. V. and Lebedev K. V, 1999. Electric field induced by the global ocean circulation, Physics of the Solid Earth, 35, No12, 1028-1035.
- Santos, F. A. M., Soares, A., Nolasco, R., Rodrigues, H. Luzio, R. and Palshin, N.A. and ISO-3D team, 2003. Lithosphere conductivity structure using the CAM-1 (Lisbon-Madeira) submarine cable, J. Geoph. Int., 155, 591-600.
- Nikiforov, V. M., Palshin, N. A., Starzhinsky, S. S. and Kuznetsov, V. A., 2004. Numerical Modeling of the Three-Dimensional Coastal Effect in the Primorski Region, Physics of the Solid Earth, 40(8), 660–671.
- Palshin, N. A., Nozdrina, A. A., Matyushenko, V. A., Porai-Koshits, A. M. and Egorov, I. V., 2006. Electromagnetic method for monitoring currents in the Gorlo of the White Sea, Oceanology, 46(3), 351-361.
- Ponomarev V., Dyakonova I., Palshin N., Rudykh N., Ishida H., 2006. Multiscale Variability of oceanographic and meteorological characteristics in the Japan (East) Sea area. In “Past, Present and Future Environments of Pan-Japan Sea Region”. Japan: MARUZEN Co.,Ltd, 2006. pp. 407-417.
- Palshin, N.A., 2007. EM studies at Seas and oceans, In: “Electromagnetic sounding of the Earth’s interior”, editor: V.V. Spichak, Elsiever monograph series “Methods in Geochemistry and Geophysics”, 40, 376-388.
- Levitin, A.E., Gromova, L.I., Dremukhina, B.F., and Palshin, N.A., 2007. Analysis of High-Latitude Current Systems during the BEAR Experiment Based on the IZMEM Model, Geomagnetism and Aeronomy, 47(3), 330-335.
- Ernst, T., Brasse, H., Cerv, V., Hoffmann, N., Jankowski, J., Jozwiak, W., Kreutzmann, A., Neska, A., Palshin, N., Pedersen, L.B., Smirnov, M., Sokolova, E., Varentsov, I.M., 2008. Electromagnetic images of the deep structure of the Trans-European Suture Zone beneath Polish Pomerania // Geophys. Res. L. 2008. V. 35. L15307, doi:10.1029/2008GL034610
- Alekseev, D.A., N. A. Palshin and Iv. M. Varentsov, 2009. Magnetotelluric dispersion relations in a two-dimensional model of the coastal effect, Physics of the Solid Earth, 45(2), 167–170.
- Berdichevsky, M.N., V. A. Kuznetsov and N. A. Palshin, 2009. Analysis of Magnetovariational Response Functions, Physics of the Solid Earth, 45(3), 179–198.
- Sviridov, S. A. , N. A. Palshin, V. A. Solovyev, A. V. Zaretskiy, and A. A. Metalnikov, 2010. Coastal observatory for longterm measurement and real time data processing of oceanological parameters, Oceanology,50(1), 139–147.