Deputy Director for Scientific Work of Geological Direction
Head of the Laboratory
PhD (Geological and Mineralogical Sciences)
36, Nakhimovskiy prospect, Moscow, 117997, Russia
* Required fields
In 1989 V.P. Shevchenko graduated with honors from the Department of Geochemistry of the Geological Faculty of Lomonosov Moscow State University and entered full-time graduate school at Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS (IO RAS). Since 1991, he has been working at the IO RAS as an engineer, junior research associate, research associate, senior research associate, and leading research associate. In 1992-1993 held an internship at the Institute of Marine Biogeochemistry (Montrouge, France). In 2000 he defended his thesis for the degree of candidate of geological and mineralogical sciences “Aerosols - the effect on sedimentation and environmental conditions in the Arctic” (supervisor - academician A.P. Lisitsyn).
His research interests include the role of aerosols, snow, ice, water suspension, sedimentary fluxes in sedimentation processes, and the geochemistry of lichens, mosses, peat bogs, and bottom sediments.
He was the member of more than 50 expeditions, in many of which he was the leader. The main research area is the Arctic. Author and co-author of more than 300 scientific papers, including two personal monographs.
He is the member of the Academic Council of IO RAS.
Scientific Secretary of the Inter-Institute Seminar “The White Sea System”. Under his leadership 2 PhD theses were defended (M.D. Kravchishina and N.V. Goryunova). He regularly supervises the implementation of term papers and dissertations by students of the geological and geographical faculties of Moscow State University. Teacher of biogeochemistry at Vernadsky Lyceum No. 1553.
Member of the Aerosol Research Society (Gesellschaft fuer Aerosolforschung), American Geophysical Union, Russian Geographical Society, German Society for Polar Research (Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Polarforschung), Moscow Association of Polar Explorers, European Geosciences Union, European Association of Geochemistry, Society for Environmental Geochemistry and Health. He speaks English, French and German.
Since 2007, he has been the Chairman of the working organizing committee of International Conferences (Schools) on marine geology and editor of the proceedings of these conferences.
Since 2010 V.P. Shevchenko is the representative of Russia in the expert group on carbon black at AMAP (Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme), since 2013 he is a member of the editorial board of the journal “Oceanology”.
Key research publications
- Shevchenko V. The influence of aerosols on the oceanic sedimentation and environmental conditions in the Arctic // Berichte zur Polar- und Meeresforschung. 2003. No. 464. 149 p.
- Guieu C., Shevchenko V.P. Dust in the Ocean // Encyclopedia of Marine Geosciences / J. Harff, M. Meschede, S. Petersen, J. Thiede (eds.). Dordrecht: Springer Science+Business Media, 2016. P. 203–208.
- Lalande C., N?thig E.-M., Somavilla R., Bauerfeind E., Shevchenko V., Okolodkov Y. Variability in under-ice export fluxes of biogenic matter in the Arctic Ocean // Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 2014. V. 28, doi:10.1002/2013GB004735.
- Lisitzin A.P., Shevchenko V.P. Glacial-marine sedimentation // Encyclopedia of Marine Geosciences / J. Harff, M. Meschede, S. Petersen, J. Thiede (eds.). Dordrecht: Springer Science+Business Media, 2016. P. 288–294.
- Pokrovsky O.S., Viers J., Shirokova L.S., Shevchenko V.P., Filipov A.S., Duprй B. Dissolved, suspended, and colloidal fluxes of organic carbon, major and trace elements in the Severnaya Dvina River and its tributary // Chemical Geology. 2010. V. 273. P. 136–149.
- Shevchenko V., Lisitzin A., Vinogradova A., Stein R. Heavy metals in aerosols over the seas of the Russian Arctic // The Science of the Total Environment. 2003. V. 306. P. 11–25.
- Shevchenko V.P., Dolotov Y.S., Filatov N.N., Alexeeva T.N., Filippov A.S., Nцthig E.-M., Novigatsky A.N., Pautova L.A., Platonov A.V., Politova N.V., Rat’kova T.N., Stein R. Biogeochemistry of the Kem’ River estuary, White Sea (Russia) // Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 2005. V. 9. P. 57–66.
- Shevchenko V.P., Kopeikin V.M., Evangeliou N., Lisitzin A.P., Novigatsky A.N., Pankratova N.V., Starodymova D.P., Stohl A., Tompson R. Atmospheric black carbon over the North Atlantic and the Russian Arctic seas in summer – autumn time // Химия в интересах устойчивого развития. 2016. Т. 24. № 4. С. 441–446.
- Shevchenko V.P., Vinogradova A.A., Lisitzin A.P., Novigatsky A.N., Panchenko M.V., Pol’kin V.V. Aeolian and ice transport of matter (including pollutants) in the Arctic // Implications and Consequences of Anthropogenic Pollution in Polar Environments. From Pole to Pole / R. Kallenborn (editor). Springer, 2016. P. 59–73.
- Stohl A., Klimont Z., Eckhardt S., Kupiainen K., Shevchenko V.P., Kopeikin V.M., Novigatsky A.N. Black carbon in the Arctic: the underestimated role of gas flaring and residential combustion emissions // Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 2013. V. 13. P. 8833–8855, doi:10.5194/acp-13-8833-2013.