Temporarily in Charge of Director of the IO RAS
PhD (Geological and Mineralogical Sciences), Leading Researcher
36, Nakhimovskiy prospect, Moscow, 117997, Russia
* Required fields
In 1989 V.P. Shevchenko graduated with honors from the Department of Geochemistry of the Geological Faculty of Lomonosov Moscow State University and entered full-time graduate school at Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of RAS (IO RAS). Since 1991 he has been working at the IO RAS as an engineer, junior researcher, researcher, senior researcher, leading researcher. In 1992–1993 passed an internship at the Institute of Marine Biogeochemistry (Monrouge, France). In 2000 he defended his dissertation for the degree of Candidate of Geological and Mineralogical Sciences “Aerosols – influence on sedimentation and environmental conditions in the Arctic” (supervisor – Academician A.P. Lisitzin).
The range of scientific interests includes the study of the role of aerosols, snow, ice, water suspension, flows of sedimentary matter in the processes of sedimentation, geochemistry of lichens, mosses, peatlands, bottom sediments.
Member of more than 50 expeditions, in many of which he was the leader. The main research area is the Arctic. Author and co-author of more than 300 scientific papers, including two personal monographs.
Member of the Academic Council of the IO RAS.
Scientific secretary of the inter-institutional seminar “The White Sea System”. Under his leadership, 2 candidate dissertations were defended (M.D. Kravchishina and N.V. Goryunova). Regularly supervises the implementation of term papers and theses of students of the geological and geographical faculties of Moscow State University. Biogeochemistry teacher at Vernadsky Lyceum No. 1553.
Member of the Aerosol Research Society (Gesellschaft fuer Aerosolforschung), American Geophysical Union (American Geophysical Union), Russian Geographical Society, German Society for Polar Research (Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Polarforschung), Moscow Association of Polar Explorers, European Geosciences Union, European Association for Geochemistry (European Association of Geochemistry), Society for Environmental Geochemistry and Health. Speaks English, French and German.
Since 2007, he has been the Chairman of the Working Organizing Committee of the International Conferences (Schools) on Marine Geology and the editor of the proceedings of these conferences.
Since 2010 V.P. Shevchenko is the representative of Russia in the expert group on carbon black at the AMAP (Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Program), since 2013 he has been a member of the editorial board of the Oceanology journal.
Key research publications
- Shevchenko V. The influence of aerosols on the oceanic sedimentation and environmental conditions in the Arctic // Berichte zur Polar- und Meeresforschung. 2003. No. 464. 149 p.
- Guieu C., Shevchenko V.P. Dust in the Ocean // Encyclopedia of Marine Geosciences / J. Harff, M. Meschede, S. Petersen, J. Thiede (eds.). Dordrecht: Springer Science+Business Media, 2016. P. 203–208.
- Lalande C., N?thig E.-M., Somavilla R., Bauerfeind E., Shevchenko V., Okolodkov Y. Variability in under-ice export fluxes of biogenic matter in the Arctic Ocean // Global Biogeochemical Cycles. 2014. V. 28, doi:10.1002/2013GB004735.
- Lisitzin A.P., Shevchenko V.P. Glacial-marine sedimentation // Encyclopedia of Marine Geosciences / J. Harff, M. Meschede, S. Petersen, J. Thiede (eds.). Dordrecht: Springer Science+Business Media, 2016. P. 288–294.
- Pokrovsky O.S., Viers J., Shirokova L.S., Shevchenko V.P., Filipov A.S., Duprй B. Dissolved, suspended, and colloidal fluxes of organic carbon, major and trace elements in the Severnaya Dvina River and its tributary // Chemical Geology. 2010. V. 273. P. 136–149.
- Shevchenko V., Lisitzin A., Vinogradova A., Stein R. Heavy metals in aerosols over the seas of the Russian Arctic // The Science of the Total Environment. 2003. V. 306. P. 11–25.
- Shevchenko V.P., Dolotov Y.S., Filatov N.N., Alexeeva T.N., Filippov A.S., Nцthig E.-M., Novigatsky A.N., Pautova L.A., Platonov A.V., Politova N.V., Rat’kova T.N., Stein R. Biogeochemistry of the Kem’ River estuary, White Sea (Russia) // Hydrology and Earth System Sciences. 2005. V. 9. P. 57–66.
- Shevchenko V.P., Kopeikin V.M., Evangeliou N., Lisitzin A.P., Novigatsky A.N., Pankratova N.V., Starodymova D.P., Stohl A., Tompson R. Atmospheric black carbon over the North Atlantic and the Russian Arctic seas in summer – autumn time // Химия в интересах устойчивого развития. 2016. Т. 24. № 4. С. 441–446.
- Shevchenko V.P., Vinogradova A.A., Lisitzin A.P., Novigatsky A.N., Panchenko M.V., Pol’kin V.V. Aeolian and ice transport of matter (including pollutants) in the Arctic // Implications and Consequences of Anthropogenic Pollution in Polar Environments. From Pole to Pole / R. Kallenborn (editor). Springer, 2016. P. 59–73.
- Stohl A., Klimont Z., Eckhardt S., Kupiainen K., Shevchenko V.P., Kopeikin V.M., Novigatsky A.N. Black carbon in the Arctic: the underestimated role of gas flaring and residential combustion emissions // Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 2013. V. 13. P. 8833–8855, doi:10.5194/acp-13-8833-2013.